PVC-U is the most often used thermoplastic material for pipe installations because of the following characteristics:
- It is rigid, non-flammable, and is suitable for both above and below ground installations
- Chemically resistant, so corrosion is not possible
- Suitable for potable water and other fluids in the production of food or dairy products
- Suitable for temperatures range 0°C to 60°C at a wide range of operating pressures
- Easy to install, using cold solvent without special tools
The estimated service lifetime is 100 years.